Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The sacrifice of praise

by Mama Mabel

Several things around our house just went kaput.  I would very much like to whine about it (and have a little), I've been inspired by Jessica Smartt's blog about "The Unthankful Thankful List" and remembering Hebrews 13:15, "Through Him then, let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that give thanks to His name."  So here is my list of things I am choosing to be grateful for right now.

A moody heat pump - Ironically, our central heat doesn't like to work in the coldest weather.  This is helping me to remember that comfort is a luxury, not a necessity and feel more empathy for those without regular heat sources.  (and no, we're not freezing, just chilly with a big electric bill from all the space heaters)

One of our last few space heaters dying - We actually had the money to buy a new $50 one a few days before payday.  That is a big deal.  We don't normally have the much to spare.  Praise God for His provision! 

Cracked pipes in our well house - Our pipes froze and when we thawed them, water went all over our well house but not to our actual house.  So we still have no running water and are faced with the cost of repairs.  This has reminded me of the importance of planning ahead since we're living off the gallons of water we stashed in a hall closet in case a power outage shut down our well pump.  It will also lead to quicker upgrades to our well house that were (obviously) sorely needed anyway. 

Washing my hair in the bathroom sink at my office - I am thankful to have a job where I can do this after hours and no one cares (not that I told them b/c it's kinda weird but they wouldn't care).  Plus, Ladybug got a big kick out of watching me do something so different when she came to pick me up.

Sharing a bed with my toddler - the cold has driven us all to sleep in our queen sized bed with a space heater making a herculean effort to keep our room warm.  Last night it worked so well that I kicked all 4 of my blankets off during the night.  That's right.  I slept warmly.  Ladybug moves a lot in her sleep meaning my sleep isn't the soundest when she's with us, but she gives off a lot of body heat so I guess that balances it.  And in the long run, if she remembers back this far, this type of adventure will be one of her favorite memories.  As a side note, I'm also thankful we only have kid at this point.  We're perfectly sized for our circumstances.

A lack of financial abundance - we have what we need but not a lot of extra.  All the things above could be resolved easily if we had gobs of money but what would that teach us about dependence on God, personal sacrifice, and hard work to take care of ourselves and our child?  Nothing.

The more I think about it, praise is only a sacrifice because my attitude isn't right.  If I spent more time thinking about all God is accomplishing through this, praise would flow freely.  I'm sure He's doing more than I could even imagine.  

Thank you God for all you're doing in my life and for my family.  I praise you for the home You gave us which is exactly the home You wanted us to have to fulfill Your purposes.  I'm so glad my life is in Your hands and not my own.  Please help me to quit trying to take it back.  Amen.

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you. After already struggling with my heater, but that really being the only problem my house has had (plus some new cracks that worry me), beginning Christmas Eve: came home Christmas Day from Okc to find that a power surge zapped my year-old fridge, just-fixed heater, microwave, and several electronics. Adrian got bronchitis with a 103 fever--no insurance, so $300 + meds and stuff, never mind missing Christmas stuff. I got the flu and then a cold. Then I had frozen pipes. And once that thawed, I had to have busted pipes fixed. So now I'm $700 in on appliances and pipes and it's not fixed! The main line had to be replaced! And I can't get that til Monday. $2000 more. Feeling like my house is caving in. Fiancé is on mission trip and also has no income currently (student), and feels helpless to provide for me. But never has God left me in a completely impossible situation. It just may not have gone as I wished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And days or years from now I may understand why things go how they do. Thank goodness I don't have to understand it all, and really that I CANT understand it all. It'd be too much for me to handle to know all that is promised for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "It'd be too much for me to handle to know all that is promised for me." Profound my friend.

      Sorry all those difficult things happened at once. Sounds like you already bought all your appliances again. If not, try http://www.jandjappliances.com/. We got a fridge there for $300 that's been working great for 2 years now and it just had some small dings & paint scratches. I have a microwave you can have if you want to wait until I'm in town again. Probably would cost as much to ship as to get a new one. I may swing through in early March.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete